Wednesday 22 January 2014

Worst Job in the World

As I sat in my study contemplating the weight of the universe and the effect the increasing power of the human brain has on our soul I realised Dentistry is the worse job ever. It's a cliche to say no one likes the dentist, but no one likes the dentist. Even hospitals are better, because you never come out of the dentist thinking 'Ah that feels better.' It's always 5 days later, when you've stopped drooling on yourself and you've used up all your paracetamols (FYI bonjela is amazing for toothache and it works quicker too).



 In hospitals sometimes you go in thinking 'Oh no what the fuck is this lump on my bollock' and sometimes you come out thinking 'Thank fuck I'm a penis-hypochondriac' (seriously I mispelled this word and it was in the spell-correct, its an actual word!) But in the dentist you go in thinking, hmm maybe I have a cavity and then you come out with like 7. And you have to pay. What happens if you I don't pay? That's right I die, just like heart disease. But if I did have heart disease I'd get free treatment, yes I'll have to wait a while, but at least I still have enough money to order on Just-eat.co.uk. That's another thing, you're paying £50 to be stabbed in the mouth and you have to wait 2 months to actually get stabbed in the mouth.



But this ramble is only why patient or should I say customer wouldn't want to be a dentist. If we spin it on the dentist side and be pragmatic, we'll see that, yes its still the worse job to have. Ok say you've just came out of school you think ok A) I want to help people B) I want money C) I'm good at biology. What do we get a Doctor or a nurse and all the other things in that profession I can't be bothered listing. But no for some reason we land on Dentist. Dentist's know as well as we do no likes the place they work, they know that are some people are afraid. Some people will avoid getting their teeth looked at because they are afraid, they'll risk having scurvy because they are scared of you! You are causing people discomfort all the time. Even when the anesthetic is working, you still feel them jabbing at your gums with 3 different instruments. You never get to give good news. It's always streaked with 'Oh you have great teeth, but watch out of the lining, or the back wisdom. You need to floss just a bit more.'



Then there is the fact, that you have to look into the patients eye all the time. In hospitals when you are having the most complex and dangerous surgery, a heart thing or a cutting leg off thing (I'm not technical), they cover your hold body with a sheet except the point of surgery. One of the reasons they do is, is to disassociate the doctor with the human being. He/she is no longer working on Mrs Burthram but just a puzzle that needs figuring out, an mechanic working on a part. In dentistry however they have to see the persons face on every single procedure. The ramifications of this aren't immediate, they build up slowly after time. So delicate and subtle that we can't really contemplate the severity of it. But it's severe, maybe one of the reasons why Dentistry has the largest number of suicides then any other profession, except martys.

So kids when thinking about you're future, don't choose dentistry because you will commit suicide and if you don't you're just weird.

2 comments:

  1. I see your point, however... I believe working for Alma may be in competition for worst job in the world.

    ReplyDelete