Tuesday 28 April 2015

Why MMA Has Ruined Friend Fights

I'll tell you a time when you and your friend would be playing footy or bored and the urge to fight would come over like any red-blooded male animal. You were friends however so no punches were thrown just good old fashioned grappling. Pure strength, instinct and leverage were your only means to win. Headlocks and leg-sweeps were your techniques. It would end in laughter as you both released each other and carried on growing up.

Now in the present day every single person knows how you to choke you out whilst breaking your arm at the same time.Thanks to UFC, play fights are a thing of the past. If you want to wrestle your friend you'd better know how to reverse a triangle choke or at least how to do a clean armbar.



The scariest thing is everyone is too dangerous without them knowing it. My friend was in a training session and his sparing partner locked him into an armbar. There was an intent to win but the sessions focused more on technique. That didn't stop my friend's arm accidentally snapping in half and now he can't fully extend it.



The worst thing about all this though and I'm sure you'll agree is that I have no chance in winning. I was and probably never will be strong so I used to rely on my instinct and leverage. My wily body would wriggle out of amateur holds and my instinct would know the right way to bend and where to put pressure. This advantage has now gone as everyone has been taught (and then some) what I naturally already knew.

Now if I want to fight with my friends I have to go either cheat and gauge them in the eye or lose face. Either way some people are getting Prince of Dorned. Thanks MMA.

No comments:

Post a Comment