Tuesday 29 October 2013

I was drunk when I found the pictures.

Yesterday's storm brought destruction, sadness and death. It also brought to realisation how the internet can't take a joke. There was an incident involving facebook, a hurricane, a cat and a madeleine mccann joke. The person involved was banned from faebook immediately with no warning. The person was sent a heavy amount of hatemail.

To be fair I do feel better

Now I'm not saying what they said was funny, or whether it was right. What I'm saying is the reaction was totally unnecessary. I have my beliefs and causes that if they are insulted I would be saying how horrible the person was for saying it but I wouldn't call for them to be silenced. The reason being how can we ascertain what is funny and what is offensive.

It's a question of freedom of speech. Now everytime I make a joke about AIDS or the Holocaust on facebook I'll be worried about a reprimand by the powers that be. It wasn't like the person committed an insane crime, just they made a joke about an insane crime.

I feel like I'm pushing things too far.



No comments:

Post a Comment